Business owners need to figure out how to sell their products in order to have a successful company. Here are some general tips a person can follow when approaching the sales process.
Prior to making a sales call:
- Recognize where the marketing effort stops and sales process begins.
- Understand the sales process as it relates to your situation and your potential customers.
- Think about how you will be perceived by the people you meet.
- Dress appropriately when making a sales call.
- Practice what you are going to say. It’s important to be articulate.
Managing the sales call process:
- Keep a list of the next five potential customers. When one becomes a new customer, replace them with a new person.
- Carry a complete sales tool kit which includes everything you need to make a sale.
- Find your sales rhythm. Learn how many calls you can make a day/week/month and how much space you need between calls.
- Make a complete presentation whenever possible. Always conclude by asking for a sale or at the very least a next step.
- Always follow up after the sales call. The method will be different for each situation.
If you become good at preparing for and managing the sales process, you’ll find there aren’t very many things you shouldn’t do. But here are a few to keep in mind:
- Do not ever bad mouth your competition.
- Do not ask for a sale until you have finished your sales pitch.
- Do not think of a sale as just taking an order, it’s a relationship.
For larger companies, don’t promote your best salesman to sales manager. In general, good salespeople can’t manage, and good managers can’t sell.
Business 360 Northwest